Wootton Fitzpaine Church
"The Annual General Meeting of Wootton Parochial Church Council will take place on Tuesday 12th May at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall. The first part of the meeting is open to the whole parish and nominations for church wardens are welcome in advance and will be elected at the meeting."
St Paul's Wootton Fitzpaine is a traditional Anglican Church located about a mile from it's village centre. It is built within the original grounds of the Manor House and services are held at 11 am on the first and third Sunday each month, according to the 1662 Book of Common Prayer. Special Songs of Praise Services held at Christmas, Harvest and Easter.
Please check with the churchwardens on Services, as ocassionaly they are cancelled if many of this small congregation are away.
We are also now working more closely with the village to hold joint events, such as: FreeXChange Cafe, Concerts, 'Short & Sweet' for children, Walks that begin in the Village Social Club and end at Church. More information on 01297 443763.
The church is located in the grounds of the beautiful C18 Wootton House, it has its origins in C13 and C15 although the north transept, vestry and major restoration are of 1872 by George H. Birch. Wootton Fitzpaine appears to be the only church this architect was responsible for in Dorset.
The pulpit is constructed from Jacobean panels and must be the longest in Dorset. The font has a scalloped stem and Sir Nikolaus Pevsner thought it might have been a Norman capital.The building is interesting for a number of reasons. The nave is probably what you might expect for a church serving such a small and scattered community, but the chancel, south aisle and north transept are very generous and one wonders where all the congregation came from.